What can we find for you?
Taking care of yourself and supporting your friends can make the difference between a good day and a not-so-good day. Try out these tips for taking care of yourself so you can be your healthiest and happiest.
10 Self-Care Strategies for Teens
- It’s okay to feel overwhelmed. Focus on what you can CONTROL, like your breathing, staying in the present and disconnecting from all forms of media.
- Spend time outside, even if you’re avoiding crowds. Wear a mask and social distance.
- Engage in mindfulness activities, such as starting a gratitude journal or preparing your favorite meal without distractions.
- Reach out and connect with someone supportive in your life.
- Practice self-care in whatever form works for you. This could include exercising, reading, listening to music, meditating, or getting adequate sleep.
- Make a list of your favorite songs or movies, and share the list with your friends. Maybe even create a throwback song list and listen to it together or with your parents.
- Challenge negative beliefs about change.
- Find new ways to connect with your friends. Social distancing should not mean social isolation!
- Make your space comfy and cozy with a soft blanket, relaxing lighting, and objects that make you happy or remind you of happy memories.
- Set boundaries with your media consumption and use your extra time to engage in meaningful conversations.
Teen Apps for Self-Care
- Try out the self-care tools and resources on GritX
- MyLife offers over 400 activities for managing stress, sleeping better and finding calm
Mental Health Resources
National Suicide Prevention Line
Crisis Text Line
- Text TALK to 741741 to text with a trained counselor for free
- 1-855-845-7415 available 24/7
- A non-emergency resource for anyone seeking emotional support
The Trevor Project
- TrevorLifeline: 1-866-488-7386
- Text TREVOR to 1-202-304-1200
- TrevorChat: via thetrevorpoject.org
National Domestic Violence Hotline
- Text LOVEIS to 22522
- Resources for teen dating abuse
Child Abuse Hotline
- 1-800-344-6000 available 24/7
- If you or a friend is being hurt or neglected
- Define your network and your plan to stay safe
- Strategies to help cope with stress and anxiety